- Published: Monday, 24 February 2014 21:40
Who doesn't love a big piece of chocolate cake every once and a while?
With this recipe, you can have your cake and eat it too! It is a gluten-free, low carb cake with a secret ingredient...
That's right...black beans!
This tiny superfood makes the cake super moist, not to mention nutrient-dense, too! And trust me, you would never know there are beans in it!
Ingredients (for cake):
- 1 & 1/2 cups cooked beans (you can really use any color)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup & 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Ingredients (for dairy-free frosting):
- 1 stick unsalted organic butter, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered stevia
- 5-6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pure stevia extract, to taste
Directions (for cake):
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 9″ cake pan with extra virgin olive oil cooking spray.
- Dust cocoa all over the inside of the pan, tapping to evenly distribute.
- Cut a round of parchment paper and line the bottom of the pan, grease the parchment lightly.
- Drain and rinse the beans in a colander. Shake off excess water.
- Place beans, 3 eggs, vanilla, stevia, and salt into a blender.
- Blend on high until the beans are completely liquefied. Make sure it is not lumpy.
- Whisk together the cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a bowl, use a mixer to cream the coconut oil with honey until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the two remaining eggs, beating for a minute after each one is added.
- Beat the bean mixture the the rest of the batter.
- Finally, stir in the cocoa powder, and beat the batter on high for one minute, until smooth.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and smooth the top.
- Grip the pan by the edges and tap it on the counter a few times to pop any air bubbles.
- Bake the cake for 40-45 minutes (25 minutes if made into cupcakes). It is done when the top springs back when you press on it.
- Remove the cake to a cooling rack and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the pan onto a cooling rack.
- Let it cool, then cover in plastic wrap. *For the best flavor, let cake sit over night!
- Frost the cake (directions below), once cooled completely.
Directions (for frosting):
- Cream the butter in a small bowl, until fluffy.
- Powder sweetener using a coffee grinder or Magic Bullet for 1-2 minutes, until extremely fine in texture.
- Stir powdered sweetener into butter with a spatula, then beat until smooth.
- Slowly blend in the cocoa powder, vanilla, and sea salt.
- Beat in the coconut milk.
- Add stevia, starting with 1/16 teaspoon and use no more than 1/4 teaspoon - keep tasting and adjusting the sweetness to your liking.
*This recipe was adapted from Healthy Indulgences.
Can't taste the black beans, right?! Tell us what you thought in the comments below, and share more of your favorite healthy baking ideas!