Five Fabulous Fit, Strong and Sexy Appetizers
- Category: FP-Featured
- Published: Friday, 14 March 2014 19:02
Think “healthy” and “happy hour” don’t go together? Think again, lady! You know I’m all about having your fitness without sacrificing fun! Thanks to my dear friend and food and travel critic, Joanna O’Leary, we decided, why not start a cocktail and cooking scene that doesn’t come with any guilty thoughts about having to break your diet!
With these five LIGHTENED up appetizers, you can save those calories for a cocktail. And the best part is all are easy to prepare and serve, so you can spend more time chatting than chopping! AND, to attend one of these events in person with me sign up for my newsletter HERE for the next event schedule.
5. Strawberry Brie Toasts. Yes, you read right: BRIE! Dieters usually discount this cheese because of its high fat content; however, if you swap the regular version for lite President Brie, you can indulge for 50% less fat and 30% fewer calories. Spread reduced sugar strawberry preserves (I like Smucker’s) on Melba wheat toasts, top with brie, and you have some lovely sweet-savory, slimmed down snacks.
4. Edamame Guacamole. Chips and guacamole are always a crowd-pleaser but just a few scoopfuls of traditional versions will exceed your daily allowance for healthy fats. Get more bang for your dip by adding edamame along with the avocadoes for a guilt-free guacamole. Pair with reduced salt or low-fat tortilla or pita chips and you have a complete chip-and-dip healthy makeover!
3. Cheesy Zucchini Bites. These oven-roasted cheesy zucchini bites are the perfect passed app for cold-weather cocktail parties. Use just a bit of bleu cheese for a pleasant sour twang on your tastebuds or stick solely to parmesan for an even light savory snack.
2. Smoked Salmon Wonton Cups. Here’s yet another amazing Fit, Sexy and Strong swap: use wonton wrapper instead of puffed pastry in your hors d’oeuvres and you’ll have a satisfying carbohydrate base without significantly less fat and calories. Fill your wontons with healthy meats and vegetables; I like this recipe, which uses smoked salmon, cucumber, and dill. (Substitute Greek yogurt for the crème fraiche for more protein and fewer calories.)
1. Caprese Skewers. If you think that simple food can’t be sophisticated and delicious, check out these fabulous caprese skewers. The combination of supple part-skim mozzarella balls, cherry tomatoes, and basil makes for a lovely Italian-inspired treat that is fresh and filling. Assembly couldn’t be easier, not eating as you make them, a bit harder ☺
FIRST EVER Skinny Cooking Class and Cocktails with Amanda
When: Tuesday March, 18, 2014 Time: 6:30-9pm
Location: Central Market
Where: Houston, TX Sign Up HERE!